Summer beauty essentials
Of course you should always carry sunscreen but there are some other summer beauty essentials that you shouldn't be without. Whether you are headed to a summer BBQ, a ballgame or the beach, you can keep your makeup and hair fresh by using the right products. So, here are some pointers on what beauty products you should carry in your beach bag this summer.
Skip foundation in high heat and apply a tinted moisturizer instead. It will offer a much more natural look and, while still evening your skin tone and hiding blemishes, give your skin a light and free feel. Their are an array of choices that will make it easy for you to find a product that meshes well with your skincare needs. Here are three suggestions for a stellar summer look.
- Laura Mercier features a tinted moisturizer that is oil-free. It offers hydration, sun protection and oil-control in one fabulous product. You can order Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer from Sephora for $42. It comes in seven shades.
- For a bargain choice, select Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer Tinted Moisturizer. This product combines a vitamin-infused Retinol treatment to help smooth fine lines, SPF 20 moisturizer to protect your skin, and a sheer, lightweight tint. You can get Neutrogena products at your neighborhood retailer or online.
- If you are heading to the bar or a party after a day in the sun, you might want to carry a little powder with you in your makeup bag. Don't use anything too heavy which can cake. Many cosmetic companies offer loose powder in a self-contained applicator brush. This Temptu Portable Powder, available at Sephora, is ideal for summertime and women on the go.
To hide small imperfections, you can use a little concealer. You only need to use a little bit, otherwise it will look unnatural in the sunlight. Before heading out into the sun, using a small, fine brush, dot a small amount of the concealer onto the area you are trying to cover. Blend until it becomes one with your skin. Avoid getting concealer into the small wrinkles. It will enhance them, making them more noticeable.
You may have seen concealer sticks in yellow, lavender and green rather than skin tones. These concealers can be used to combat particular types of imperfections. Yellow concealers are used to conceal bluish skin problems, such as undereye circles and bruises. Lavender concealer can balance out yellow imperfections such as yellowish bruises and sallow complexions. It can also be used on darker skin to hide undereye circles. Green concealer is great for hiding redness, covering pimples, rosacea and other blemishes.
For the best results when using concealer sticks, don't apply the stick directly to your face but use a small brush instead. Apply sparingly and then blend with your finger tip or a makeup sponge. Try these products...
- Little Amazing Concealer from Ulta. This highly concentrated concealer can cover just about anything and still look natural. It's $28.00 for a 0.2-ounce tube but a little goes a long way.
- Another favorite concealer, great for all year long, is Dermablend Smooth Indulgence. This long-lasting concealer provides excellent coverage and a smooth, matte finish.
- Physicians Formula offers a green concealer stick that is inexpensive and quite effective. You can buy it online at drugstore.com for about $5 or at your local retailer.
If you are on a summer camping trip, spending the day at the pool, or attending an outdoor party, you could forego eye makeup all together. It tends to smear and melt in the sun and water. However by selecting the right products, your eye makeup can look fabulous all day. Here a few tips tricks using waterproof mascara.
- Select brown-black rather than jet black for a more natural look and apply one coat on your upper lashes only.
- You can also use waterproof mascara to create waterproof eyeliner! Dip a clean, tiny brush into the waterproof mascara on your wand. Then apply the product as you normally apply eyeliner.
- Alison Raffaele offers blotting tissues that are 100% paraben, talc, oil and fragrance free and are now in eco-friendly packaging. 100 sheets are priced at $9.
- Another option is Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets, which are about $5 for 50 sheets.
- An economical choice is e.l.f. Shine Eraser Blotting Sheets for $1 per pack of 50.
Summer hair care prodcuts
Frederic Fekkai offers a fabulous line of haircare products just for the summer season. Be on the lookout for other name brands that specially create products lines for seasonal use. Here are our favorites by Fekkai:
- Frederic Fekkai Summer Hair Beach Waves protects your hair from the sun and lets your waves be free. Just spray in the mist and then scrunch your hair for a fresh "beachy" look. Tuck a bottle of this product into your beach bag to revive your hair of coming out of the water.
- The product line also features Summer Smooth Sailing Anti-Frizz Cream and Marine Clean Detox Shampoo to control frizzies and combat chlorine residues.
More summer beauty
- Summer makeup tips
- 20 Summer hair care products
- 10 Quickie makeup meltdown fixes
- 6 Must have handbag essentials