Plus size fashion tips
The fashion caste system that separated people into "those who can" (skinny and rich) and "those who can't" (everyone else) created by snobby designers and power hungry fashion editors is crumbling. A fashion utopia is emerging where fashionistas can look fabulous regardless of size. Take that, Kate Moss!
Now, there are few rules you need to follow in order to stay in fashion. In this diet-obsessed, waif-model culture, designers still gear their creations toward a size two, and their version of plus size fashion is to just make a bigger size two. Commit these size rules to heart and watch your style quotient rise.
Dressing in one color de-emphasizes your problem areas by creating one long silhouette. Wearing all black is still the simplest way to look pounds thinner.
Break out the heels
Heels elongate your legs, making you look slimmer in the process. Stores like Zappos have a huge selection of pumps and heels. Try something classic like a black stiletto, or opt for a sexy red patent pump!
Low-rise is not an option
Very few people, regardless of size, can wear low-rise pants. Just because it is in style, doesn't mean it will work for you.
Avoid cropped jackets
Cropped jackets draw attention to your waist and butt. Purchase well-structured jackets that hit you right below your bottom. This season, military is very hot, so pick up a cute army green jacket, or something in velvet to layer over your favorite LBD for a night out.
Please don't abuse the Lycra
Lycra is a privilege, not a fashion right.
Purchase boot cut pants
One of the season's biggest trends is the pencil leg pant, which emphasizes big butts. Stick with pants that have a slight flare at the bottom, like these from Old Navy, to create a more balanced look.
Find a great tailor
Don't throw out those great fitting pants because they are too long. A great tailor will be able to hem the pants to your desired length for less than $20.
So where can you buy these clothes? Below are the best stores to purchase plus-size fashions that will enhance your style and be gentle on your pocket books.
- Karenkane.com: This hot site carries the prettiest dresses for sizes up to a 3X!
- Lanebryant.com: This site has the best array of on-trend jackets, jeans and more!
- LaRedoute.com: This is a Parisian online retailer that has some of the best plus-size fashions on the web. They are hip, trendy and extremely affordable.
- Overstock.com: This is the best online outlet and a great place to pick up cheap designer items. The plus-size section tends to be a little boring for our taste, but sometimes you can find deals like a Dana Buchman top for up to 80 percent off retail.
- Target.com: Stop by for toilet paper and leave with an outfit. Too bad the Isaac Mizrahi line only goes up to a size 16.
Try stopping by your local outlet mall. Off 5th, the Saks Fifth Avenue Outlet, has an amazing selection of designer plus size fashions from Donna Karan, Oscar de la Renta and Anne Klein. Also, check out stores like Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's and Macy's — all of whom have very hip plus size departments.
Remember that you can be a fashionista regardless of your size. Don't let pop culture's ridiculous fashion caste system dictate what you can and can't wear. Arm yourself with a heaping dose of self-confidence, a purse full of common sense and the rules above, and head to your favorite store and shop!