11 Funky clothing items that can reinvent your look
It happens. We get tired of our closets. Even our favorite statement outfits can turn very vanilla after so many uses.
And although I can't help but sometimes wish I could throw out every single piece of clothing I own (and by "throw out," I mean "donate," of course!) and start anew, it actually only takes a few funky pieces to give your look a 180.
So, if your drab garb needs a good pick-me-up for the new year, then start here. By adding a few eye-catching, out-of-the-norm pieces, you can reinvent your whole look!
1. Illuminate in iridescence
Ummm, how fun is iridescent? We all obsessed over it as children and thought it had magical powers (No? Just me?), so don't be shy to shine! Don't feel like looking like you're headed to a rager? Tone it down with a classic bag and heels like Wendy.
- Arianna sequin iridescent shift dress (Missguided, $34)
- Iridescent foil cut-out back mini dress (ASOS, $32)
- Layla 3/4 sleeve iridescent body-con dress (Pilot, $70)
- Alison iridescent sequin body-con dress (iClothing, $28)
2. Rule with a velvet pant
Velvet isn't a bad thing, as Flávia clearly shows in her killer outfit. She makes it look cool and trendy by keeping the look monotone — and by wearing a pair of badass heels.
- Juicy Couture Lurex velour jogger pants (Kohl's, $25)
- Wicked wine crushed velvet skirt (Plasticland, $26)
- Signature velvet slim pants (Ann Taylor, $50)
- LC Runway Collection pleated velvet skirt (Kohl's, $42)
3. Play dress up
The tutu trend has been getting some traction for a few years now, and, if you're like me, every time you see someone wearing one, you stare and lust over it like you would with a newborn kitten.
- Elastic waist white gauze flare skirt (Rotita, $20)
- Tulle full midi skirt (Charlotte Russe, $19)
- Mauve tulle full midi skirt (Charlotte Ruse, $27)
- Organza tulle skirt in wine (Chic Wish, $34)
- Lavender tulle mini skirt (Chic Wish, $37)
- High-waisted full tulle skirt (Choies, $38)
4. Make your feet pop (with pom poms!)
Too often we don't purchase items because we can picture our boyfriends wrinkling their noses and saying something like, "Did you make those while volunteering at a day care today?" But, hold it right there. Jules looks totally awesome in her yellow outfit and pom pom sandals. It just goes to show, boys don't know very much — our fashion choices aren't for them anyway, they're for us. #smiley
- Pom pom flat sandals (ASOS, $29)
- Say You Will pointed heels (ASOS, $72)
- Tie up gladiator sandals (Etsy, $145)
- Privileged Playboy puff pump (Nasty Gal, $92)
- Leather gladiator pom pom sandals (Etsy, $68)
- Pom pom coral sandals (Etsy, $79)
5. Get fierce with (faux) fur
It can be easy to be afraid of fur. They tend to be quite loud pieces, if you will. So, the trick is to keep the rest of your outfit simple, like Shirley does, and make the fur exactly what it is: a statement. Just do me a favor and go for faux fur — if you've ever seen one of those PETA videos on how they rip fur from live animals, you will never buy real again (I will spare you the link and corresponding nightmares).
- Only faux fur jacket (ASOS, $108)
- Beige melange faux fur jacket (H&M, $99)
- Vans Hammersmith faux fur jacket (PacSun, $70)
- Eyeshadow faux fur vest (Macy's, $30)
6. Jump for joy in a jumper
Jumpers are so freaking cute. How did we ever forget about them? You can go for a traditional overalls-style jumper, like Keiko (who by the way was just flown out to meet Jennifer Aniston!), or opt for plaid, floral or ones that have modern cuts.
- Casual denim overall jumper (Ebay, $20)
- Day Tripper velvet jumper dress (Nasty Gal, $49)
- Floral jumper dress (Love Culture, $19)
7. Go galactic
Moon boots aren't just for the moon — and Earth feels like an alien planet sometimes anyway. Futuristic fashion, especially footwear, has been slowly creeping into the market, thanks to celebs like Lady Gaga. If you're looking for a conversation starter, try some of these shoes on for size.
- Sleek 01 Lucite heeless heel (Wholesale Fashion Shoes, $11)
- Howard Tall puffer boots (Bloomingdale's, $178)
- Moon boot in deluxe glitter (Luis Aviaroma, $119)
- Sculpted curved Mary Jane heels (Amazon, $15)
8. You know what time it is
Good ole MC Hammer knew what he was doing when he whipped out his famous harem pants — they're super comfortable! Once you buy a pair, you will be snatching up seconds after seconds. A pair for the office, a pair for yoga, a pair for walking the dog, a pair for getting coffee...
- Printed drawstring harem pants (Choxi, $13)
- Diamond print harem pants (Forever 21, $13)
- Elastic waist chiffon harem pants (Ebay, $8)
- Yak & Yeti Indian harem pants (Yoga Outlet, $30)
- Heidi harem pants (Choxi, $16)
9. Get funky with fringe
Fringe can be scary, because it's so easy for your outfit to quickly look like a costume. The solution? Start small. Ashleigh shows us how to do it right, by adding a little fancy fringe footwork to her outfit. It's an unexpected touch, but her bag ties it all together.
- Betseyville Zoro fringe boots (Target, $45)
- Fringed skirt (H&M, $60)
- Steve Madden leather fringe sandal (Lord & Taylor, $79)
- Genuine suede fringe vest (Forever 21, $48)
10. Reveal your inner ballerina
Not all bodysuits have to look like bathing suits, or that you time traveled from the '80s. Jessi created a chic feminine outfit that has major sex appeal. Yeah! Leotards can be sexy.
- Out from Under mesh block bodysuit (Urban Outfitters, $39)
- Out from Under Valencia halter bodysuit (Urban Outfitters, $44)
- Cotton spandex jersey cross-V bodysuit (American Apparel, $36)
- Prove It Dolman bodysuit (Go Jane, $20)
11. The new animal prints
Is this a new thing? I'm starting to see it everywhere. Well, either way, I'm on board! Keiko breaks all the rules and dons the matchy-matchy look, but she makes the quirk work! Pick your favorite animal and take him along on your day's journey.