The best colored eyeliner for your eye color
Everyone looks good in a smoky eye, but what about those pretty, bright eyeliners that are so in vogue? If you've been thinking about experimenting, we're all for it! And to help you find the most flattering shades for your pretty peepers, we got tips from four amazing beauty experts.
"There are no rules when it comes to makeup as playing around with color is always fun," says Nina Leykind, founder of eyeko cosmetics. "As a general guideline, it works to use eyeliner shades that enhance your natural eye color. For instance, plums and burgundy make green and blue eyes pop, while teal and navy blue are great for brown eyes, and a light pink or white brightens the whites of everyone's eyes.”
So we can all play with something like this Marc Jacobs Beauty Highliner Gel Eye Crayon in Orchid Shimmer! (Sephora, $25)
"Most beauty insiders... refer to the color wheel when working with an eye color they want to accentuate," says celebrity makeup artist Edward Cruz. "I'm about 80 percent on board — the opposite color on the color wheel will brighten and reflect the color you want to bring out most, but there are exceptions!"
Read on for some of the prettiest choices to make your eyes stand out this spring.
"Since brown eyes are neutral and earthy, most colors look great on them," says says celebrity makeup artist Daniel Chinchilla (who's currently on tour with Ariana Grande). "I love using a bright pop of green as eyeliner. It's natural yet makes a statement!"
- He recommends Sephora Retractable Waterproof Eyeliner in Shimmering Jade. (Sephora, $13)
- To make brown eyes pop, Christina Choi, makeup artist and founder of Christina Choi Cosmetics, recommends applying a flash of vibrant blue to your lash line. Use an eyeliner brush to apply Christina Choi Eyeshadow in Splash for a bold pop. (christinachoicosmetics.com, $18)
- Front of the Line PRO Liquid Eyeliner in Navy was designed to complement brown eyes. (LoracCosmetics.com, $23)
Silver eyeliner looks great on blue eyes and enhances them to the max, says Chinchilla.
- Blue, of course, is a gorgeous color for blue eyes! Try Laura Geller INKcredible Gel Eyeliner Pencil in Blue Jean Baby. (LauraGeller.com, $20)
- Charlotte Tilbury Colour Chameleons in Champagne Diamonds was designed specifically for blue eyes. Technically eyeshadow pens, these can be used as a liner. (CharlotteTilbury.com, $27.
- Chinchilla recommends L'Oreal HiP Color Chrome Eyeliner in Silver Lightning. (Drugstores, $10)
A great way to make hazel eyes pop is to use a bright neon-violet on your lower lash line, says Choi. "This will give a flash of light purple that will instantly make your eyes stand out!"
- Green is also a gorgeous color for hazel eyes. Try Charlotte Tilbury Colour Chameleons in Smokey Emerald, designed specifically to flatter hazel eyes. (Charlottetilbury.com. $27)
- For a violet option, Cruz recommends SMASHBOX Photo Angle Pure Pigment Gel Liner in Bright Lilac. (Beauty.com, $20)
- Lastly, try Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Asphyxia. (Sephora, $20)
- For a really affordable choice: Essence Gel Eye Pencil Waterproof in Urban Jungle. (Ulta, $3)
"I love using deep purple eyeliners to draw attention to green eyes," says Chinchilla. "Purple is still dark enough to add definition to the eyes, but is also a great pop of color for spring!"
- Try FLOWER That’s So Kohl! in Tell Me No Lilacs. (Walmart, $8)
- Cruz recommends SHISEIDO Shimmering Cream Eye Color in Cardinal. "Apply this long-wear cream with a pencil brush for a smokey look or an angled brush for a fine line," he says. (Sephora, $20)
- Nina Leykind also loves plums and burgundies for green eyes. Eyeko Making Eyes Automatic Gel Eyeliners are waterproof gel eyeliners that glide on easily for an intense pop of long-lasting color. Try Plum Wine for pretty green eyes. (Eyeko.com, $19)
- And last but certainly not least, Aveda Petal Essence Eye Definer in Tidepool is a stunning shade that will gorgeously enhance green eyes. (Aveda.com, $17)