Cooler days and icy winds can bring dry, scaly skin and a dull complexion. Beat your winter skin woes with these at-home beauty tips and spa treatment suggestions.
Not only can the shorter, darker days of winter leave you feeling a little gloomy but the cold weather and icy winds can leave your skin looking a little worse for wear. You may suffer from dry patches of skin, windburn and a duller complexion, so it’s important to take extra special care of your skin in winter. There are a bunch of DIY beauty treatments you can follow at home or head to your local salon for a professional spa treatment. With a bit of TLC, your winter skin will be looking hydrated, vibrant and rejuvenated in no time!
- Moisturise more: Invest in a rich winter moisturiser to keep your skin extra soft through the chilly season. Pay special attention to particularly dry areas like the elbows and knees.
- Pay attention to feet and hands: Lather your extremities in moisturiser and pop on cotton socks and gloves before heading to bed for the night. You’ll wake up with super soft hands and feet.
- Exfoliate: Keep up the exfoliation in winter and brush away dead skin cells to keep your skin looking bright and radiant.
- Work on your health from the inside out: Stick to a healthy, balanced diet full of fresh fruit and veggies, with a focus on foods with a high water content, e.g. citrus fruits and celery. Also drink plenty of fresh water.
- Avoid the heater: Extra hot water and room heaters can also dry out your skin in winter. Rather insulate your home naturally and cosy up with plenty of blankets and layered clothing.
- Post-shower treatment: Slather your skin with moisturiser or a rich body butter straight after your shower to lock in the moisture. Look for ingredients like vitamin E and cocoa butter.
At the salon
- Arrange a skin consultation with a specialist: A beauty professional will be able to assess your individual skin type and address any concerns by recommending specific beauty products and a skin care regimen that’s right for you. This may change with the seasons, so make an appointment at the very beginning of winter to ensure you keep your skin in the best condition possible.
- Invest in a hydrating facial: Treat yourself to a professional facial at the beauty salon. Explain your particular skin concerns (e.g. dry skin) to the practitioner and opt for a hydrating winter treatment. A facial should help boost circulation, clear toxins and give your skin a thorough cleanse to improve your appearance and give you a healthy glow.
- Scrub away your problems: An indulgent body scrub is another fantastic salon treatment that will help cleanse your skin, clear away dead skin cells and unclog your pores. Your skin will feel super smooth and soft after a body scrub — it’s the perfect winter salon treatment.