The Hunger Games: Fun twists on the Katniss hairstyle
If you've read The Hunger Games, you may have been inspired by a few fun hairstyles and costumes (let's just hope not the flame suits). Here are a few original twists of the Katniss Everdeen signature braid.
Instead of opting for your standard plait, why not try these two cute hairstyles -- a side plait with sweet accessories or a petite plait hidden amongst your waves.
Basic side plait
Let's start with a basic side plait and add a bit of colour and quirk with cute accessories.
- Comb your hair well to remove any knots or tangles.
- If you want to add a bit of texture to help give your plait volume, give it a quick spritz with texturising spray.
- Choose one or two extra-thin ribbons and attach them by tying a knot around a few strands of hair at the back of your head so the ribbons hang loose.
- Divide your hair into three sections. Treat the ribbons as part of the normal hair section they're caught in.
- Start the plait by crossing the right section over the middle section, then cross the left section over the middle section. Each time, pull the strands tight to keep the plait neat and even.
- Repeat the right-over-middle and left-over-middle crossing routine until you reach the end of your hair, but as you plait try to work it to one side.
- Secure your side plait with a hair band. Pull a few strands out to frame your face and give it a light hairspray for extra hold.
- Your plait should start in the centre of the back of your head, but wind around your head and finish over your shoulder. Your ribbons will have weaved their way through your plait to bring some colour and cuteness to a practical 'do!
Instead of braiding every last strand, wear your hair down with one pretty and delicate braid as a highlighted feature. Team it with a cute hairpin or flower for a pretty final touch.
- Comb your hair well to remove any knots or tangles. Tousle slightly, then apply a little texturising or beach salt spray to achieve relaxed waves.
- Grab a small section of hair on the top of one side of your head and divide it into three sections.
- Start braiding the hair as you would for a standard plait, starting by crossing the right section over the middle, then the left section over the middle, and repeating.
- When you get to the end of your hair, secure with a thin hair band the same colour as your hair so it blends in.
- Give your whole head a quick once-over with hairspray to keep the waves in shape.
- To accessorise, either tie a thin ribbon at the top of your plait or pop a sparkly hair pin or flower into the beginning of the plait to draw the eye.