DIY Katy Perry's makeup from 'Dark Horse' for Halloween
Katy Perry's "Dark Horse" video is jam-freaking-packed with awesome. I mean, she eats Flamin' Hot Cheetos, there's an appearance by the adorable dog Boo, she has a grill made of diamonds and Juicy J emerges from a sarcophagus. Of course what I found most badass was the makeup. Katy rocks three different Egypt-meets-pop looks but it was her regal purple and gold Cleopatra pop princess one I wanted to create. You can too, so just follow along!
How to create Katy Perry's Cleopatra eye makeup
1. Apply a bright gold cream shadow from the inside corner of the eye to the center. I am using Maybelline Color Tattoo Cream Shadow in Gold Rush. You can use a synthetic brush or your fingertips.
2. Next, use a flat brush to sketch an elongated cat eye shape with a purple cream shadow like Maybelline Color Tattoo Cream Shadow in Painted Purple, extending it beyond your eye.
3. Using your fingertip, pat purple cream shadow on to fill in the area you sketched out.
4. Now, take a clear glitter adhesive like Sally Girl Glitter Adhesive, and pat a thin layer on the gold section.
5. Immediately dip finger into loose gold glitter, pressing all over the area where you placed gold shadow.
6. Repeat the same process with purple glitter.
7. Now it's time to Cleopatra-it-up with liner. Using a deep black liquid liner, we are going to begin by drawing our outside wing, creating a diagonal line from the corner of the eye, extending toward the end of the brow. A liner with a fine brush tip like I'm using takes a little more control, so stick with a felt tip style if you're unsteady. I used Wet n Wild Mega Liner Liquid Eyeliner.
8. Create a thin-to-thick line from the inside corner of your eye, keeping it just above your natural crease. Connect to your first line. Thicken as needed.
9. Line below your lower lash line with the same liquid liner. On your right eye, you can create the peak at the center and backwards-J shape at the corner. This mimics the eye of Horus, the Egyptian sun god.
10. On the left eye, you can simply line below, flaring the line out at the outer corner and inner.
11. Apply mascara to bottom and top lashes. For Halloween looks, I actually like to use mascara I don't love, instead of wasting my good stuff!
12. Now apply a strip of false lashes. Mine are Ardell Glamour Wispies.
13. Apply a deep magenta lip color like Buxom's Full-Bodied Lipstick Swinger. A great drugstore dupe would be Maybelline ColorSensational Vivids in Brazen Berry or Wet n Wild MegaLast Lip Color in Sugar Plum Fairy.
14. Top lip color with a berry gloss like L'Oreal Colour Riche Caresse Wet Shine Stain in Stubborn Plum.
15. Accessorize the look with all the gold jewelry you own. You can create a headpiece like I did with a necklace. A straight jet-black wig with bangs will complete your look!