Maria Menounos is giving us serious side braid envy
Are you sick of the braid trend yet? Us, either! And Maria Menounous only reinforced our love for the look when she wore her beautiful locks in this side braid.
Eager to recreate it, we turned to Giles Robinson, Color Wow Brand Ambassador, to get the step-by-step tips for doing just that. Have fun styling, ladies!
Photo credit: Ben Gabbe/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images
Get the look
"Summer hair is really at its best when it is simple, chic and understated, which is why braids are always so popular. Maria Menounos' sideswept, fishtail plait really glams up the idea of summer hair. The key to creating this look is lots of body and texture," Giles says.
- Start with freshly shampooed and conditioned, towel-dried hair. Then apply Color Wow Brass Banned Mousse and distribute evenly throughout your hair. If you have a lot of hair, you can put some mousse right on a wide-tooth comb and comb it through your hair to distribute it.
- Then, use some Pop & Lock Shellac through the mid lengths and ends of hair to give you that extra red carpet-ready reflection without making your hair greasy.
- Now, flip your head upside down and begin blow drying. Simply rough dry your hair (no brush) making sure that the roots stand away from the head, creating body.
- When your hair is nearly dry, bring yourself back upright and use your real bristle brush and blow dryer to smooth out the sections around the hairline. Make sure to maintain the body; the rest can be rough dried. If you want to secure the body in the top you can do a bit of back combing and lightly brush over.
- Take the hair and pull it all over to the front on one side. Starting from your neck line begin to fish tail your hair, taking two big sections and feeding in smaller sections from the outside to the opposite side. Keep repeating this until you get to the bottom where you can secure with a small band. I like clear elastics as they are invisible.
- To finish, any loose pieces around the front and sides can be loosely secured at the back using bobby pins or fine pins. If you notice any flyaways, use a small amount of Color Wow One Minute Transformation styling cream to smooth them down.
- Again, this look is all about looking relaxed, and not "structured," so don't worry if a few pieces fall down at the sides or the front doesn't look perfectly done.