DIY springtime flip-flop shaped bath fizzies
A nice bath can do wonders for you. Why not make things more interesting by adding DIY springtime bath fizzies to your routine?
DIY springtime bath fizzies are fun to make and even more fun to use. Pick a seasonal scent like grapefruit essential oil, add some moisturizing oil, and find a fun shape to cast your fizzies. They’re so easy to make and guarantee fun for tub time.
I chose a fun, seasonal shape — flip flops — to mold my fizzies. I picked a silicon mold (I found mine at a local craft store) that can be used for candy or ice cubes.
The citric acid in this mix is what gives your bath the fizzies, and it’s easy to find in most grocery stores. Look for citric acid with the other canning/preserving ingredients. The almond oil will provide a nice moisture base for you in your bath, leaving your skin soft, and don’t forget a spring-like essential oil. I used grapefruit essential oil in this mix, which has antiseptic properties and a stimulating scent that can help keep you active and alert.
Note: If you are pregnant, you should not use essential oils. For facts and safety information of essential oils and aromatherapy, check out the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy.
Toss two of these small fizzies into your tub and make your bath routine a bit more fun.
DIY springtime bath fizzies
Recipe inspired by Homemade Gifts Made Easy
Makes about 20 (.5-ounce) bath fizzies
- 1/2 cup powdered citric acid (found with the baking or canning supplies in most grocery stores)
- 1 cup baking soda
- Approximately 10 drops of pure grapefruit essential oil (more or less based on your preference)
- 1/2 tablespoon almond oil
- Food coloring (optional)
- Water in a spray bottle
- Large glass bowl
- 2 trays (.5-ounce) silicone molds
- Add the citric acid and baking soda to the glass bowl. Use a whisk to combine the mixture.
- Add the essential oil and almond oil to the mixture. Add your food coloring if using. I added about 3 drops of red and 3 drops of yellow to make a pale pink color.
- Use the spoon to combine the mixture very well.
- Add a few spritzes of water to moisten the mixture. Don’t use too much at once. Use the spoon to mix the ingredients well.
- The mixture should be the consistency of slightly wet sand, and should clump in your hand if you squeeze it.
- Use a spoon to transfer the mixture to the silicon molds. Pack it in very tightly, all the way to the top.
- Lay a few paper towels on a flat surface, carefully turn the mold over, and pop out the bath fizzies.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and transfer the paper towels and bath fizzies to the baking sheet.
- Cover with a few more paper towels and allow to dry overnight.
- Package the bath fizzies as you’d like.
- To use, drop 2 in a bath with warm running water. Swish around with your hands and enjoy.
Add some fizz to your next bath.