Celeb Hairstyle of the Week: Kate Middleton
We have a total crush on Kate Middleton's chic 'do. Find out why in this week's installment of Celeb Hairstyle of the Week!
When you're in need of some hair-spiration, Kate Middleton is always a great person to start with! The Duchess of Cambridge has wowed us with her fashion and beauty choices over the past few years and the new mom only seems to be getting more stylish. When I spotted Kate sporting this curly, bouncy half updo, I just had to find out how to get the look myself, so I asked Lorean Cairns, stylist and owner of Fox & Jane, for some advice. Here's what she had to say!
Get the look
"The Duchess always has perfect hair days. Here are a few tips to achieve one of her signature looks: simple, shiny and just a little up-swept," Lorean says.
- Blow dryer
- Flat brush
- Working hairspray
- Sectioning clips
- Shine spray
- Begin with clean, damp hair. Add an anti-humidity volumizer like Big Wigg by AG. Apply evenly at the scalp, then comb through.
- Using your blow dryer and a flat paddle brush, begin by moving your brush along the tricky spots of the hairline by brushing back and forth while blow drying. When all of your hairline waves are smooth, flip your head over and dry hair completely. This old "flip your head over trick" really works to create effortless volume which is the key to Kate Middleton's chic look.
- Next, section hair using your fingers and clip the top out of your way allowing about a 2-inch section from the nape down to work with. Apply a working hairspray such as Aerodynamics by AG to the section. Insider tip: Don't overdo the spray. A single pass held about 10 inches from the hair should do it for most hair textures.
- Comb through and divide strands into approximately 2 x 2-inch sections. Using a large 1-1/4-inch curling iron, curl each section. Alternate the direction of each curl. This will help create a soft look and also keep your curls from clumping together.
- When you have moved through each section following the same pattern, run your fingers through your loose curls to break them up.
- Now, use your fingers to create a natural part in your hair. If needed, you can use a comb but for this look, your natural part will work best.
- Place your pointer fingers above each ear and slide backward, loosely grabbing the section of hair from just above. Pull the hair back to create the half up look, and remove any bumps that may appear by combing before securing your section. Twist 1 section over the other and insert 4 bobby pins — 2 in the shape of an X from above the twist, and 2 from below to secure your hair into place.
- Allow what falls to fall to keep this modern and not overdone. Finish with a light mist of shine spray such as Alfaparf SDL Diamante Illuminating Finish Spray, and enjoy your new look!