The ultimate guide to plus-size outerwear
Looking to bundle up without bulking up? SheKnows style expert Kellie Brown shows you how.
There was a time when plus-size outerwear was really drab. Everything felt more like a way to hide rather than something to walk fiercely in through the street, wind in your hair, your theme music in your head and a bounce in your step.
We've come a long way and as one of those girls who loves fall, fall fashion and specifically a fantastic coat (or two, OK, let's be honest… I want all the coats in all the land), there are now so many options no matter what your style or your budget!
Maybe it's because for much of my life I've felt relegated to a black or gray wool coat, jackets and coats that felt too old or that didn't at all reflect my personal style. My absolute favorite is a statement coat. A coat that is not only functional but that really stands out and in fact truly is part of my outfit. I love using a great jacket or coat to take my outfit to the next level.
Sometimes we want to be really safe with outerwear because in truth, you do need to top it over many different outfits, and in some cases it may need to do double or triple duty, working for many occasions. But, when you step outside of the box even just a little bit, you can come up with some pretty amazing ways to top an outfit off. Here are some of the ways I use outerwear to make a statement.
I've rounded up some of my favorite jackets and coats in plus sizes from around the web at every price point. Whether you need a lightweight topper for cool California nights or something for a serious Northeast winter, there are some pretty fab options. A few of the standout trends for this season are prints, quilting and leather accents — and of course classic styles remain wonderfully classic.
- JAIME Faux Fur Trimmed Coat (Bloomingdale's, $169)
- Lafayette 148 New York, Salon Z Cecille Tweed/Leather Coat (Saks Fifth Ave., $1528)
- Faux Fur PU Trim Coat (Anna Scholz, $472)
- Cream faux fur leather look sleeve jacket (Dorothy Perkins, $95
- Ivory long zip biker jacket (Dorothy Perkins, $99)
- Tweed Panel Coat (Simply Be, $155)
- CURVE Popper Front Coat With PU Sleeve (ASOS, $161)
- Carmakoma Quilted Leather Look Sleeve Wool Coat (ASOS, $355)
- Belted Fur-Collar Coat (Talbots, $369)
- Leather Trim Wool Jacket (Nordstrom, $408)
- Carmakoma Boucle Coat With Quilted Leather Look Sleeves (ASOS, $337)
- Sporty Hooded Varsity Jacket (Forever 21, $30)
- Mossimo® Women's Plus-Size Long-Sleeve Lace Jacket - Black (Target, $33)
- Xhilaration® Junior's Plus-Size Faux Leather Moto Jacket - Black (Target, $40)
- Dana Buchman Trench Coat - Women's Plus (Kohl's, $112)
- Dana Buchman Wool-Blend Cape Coat - Women's Plus (Kohl's, $168)
- Evans Blue Quilt Drawstring Jacket (Evans, $100)
- Women's Plus-Size Houndstooth Wool-Blend Coat With Oversized Collar (Walmart, $40)
- Flanner Topper Coat Plus-Size (Nordstrom, $389)
And while we're on the subject of great outerwear, I along with a few other bloggers (Nicolette, Nadia, Allison and Franceta) have created a capsule collection of outerwear for MYNT 1792 which I'm so excited about. Being able to create my own design was a dream come true! The collection launches on Nov. 1 and will be available at www.mynt1792.com!