How to... style dirty hair
Admit it: We don’t always have the time to wash our hair. To keep your locks looking chic and stylish, get in on our dirty little secrets for the perfect hairstyles for dirty hair.
Keep it sexy
After not washing your hair for a day or two, it's at its prime for holding hairstyles. Go for a tousled wave to get your hair looking super-sexy.
- Spray dry shampoo (Clean Freak Dry Shampoo, $6) onto your roots and slightly tease.
- Spritz a little sea-salt spray (Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray, $25) onto your hair.
- Take a curling wand and loosely curl 2-inch sections of your hair.
Come out on top with a top bun
Create this classic, chic look in just a few minutes.
- Slick hair back into a high ponytail and secure with elastic.
- Use doughnut bun scrunchie and roll hair into a bun.
- Secure loose pieces with bobby pins.
Try a loose side braid for a quick, pretty look.
- Gather all of your hair to one side and loosely braid your hair.
- Tip: Braid your hair with day-old curled hair for more texture.
- Alternative look: Instead of a classic braid, take a little extra time and create an exotic fishtail braid.
Low messy bun
If your hair is already dirty, why not make it look like it was on purpose?
- Gather hair to lower back of head. Shake out loose strands and shorter layers for a carefree look.
- Put hair into ponytail and wrap around the base of the ponytail in a spiral pattern for the bun.
- Use bobby pins to secure hair.
The quick fix
On those days where absolutely no hairstyle looks right, take the easy way out and throw on a trendy hat or a cute headband.
Hats we love
Headbands we love
- Layered Jersey Headwrap (Urban Outfitters, $12)
- Avery Headwrap (Urban Outfitters, $16)
- Cult Gaia Magnolia Headwrap (Urban Outfitters, $38)