The best fall hair shades for your skin tone
Fall is the season for rich, gorgeous hair colors. Chestnut, auburn, caramel: What shade suits you? Before you answer that question, it's important to consider how it will complement (or clash) with your skin tone.
In the hair color world, fall is the time to go from summer lights to autumn riches. If you're in the market for a fabulous new 'do, here are a few tips to think about before taking the plunge.
Don't go too drastic
While some may insist on a big hair color change come fall, it is a typical rule of thumb to stay within three shades of your natural hue. Indianapolis-based hair stylist Laura Piercefield is a fan of this theory: "I'm not a big believer in changing your color drastically each season, but in making small changes with your color to switch up your style." she advises. "It's much easier on your hair and makes the color look more natural and believable."
Know your skin tone
This can make or break your color. Some colors are designed for cool skin tones, while others are meant for warmer skin tones. "The key is choosing complementary tones for your complexion. Not choosing the color itself," Laura warns.
How to find your skin tone
So, are you a warm tone or cool tone? Here's how to find out, along with the best shades for your complexion:
- Color of veins on wrist: Blue
- Undertones in skin: Pink, blue, olive
- Colors you look best in: Black, white, blue, gray
- Lipstick shades: Pink and blue-based shades of red
- Jewelry: Silver
- Hair color synopsis: Stick with cool, ashy, blue-based shades which can complement fair complexions.
- Blond: Flax, Champagne, beige
- Red: Strawberry, terracotta, burgundy
- Brown: Walnut, cinnamon, espresso
- Color of veins on wrist: Green
- Undertones in skin: Peach, yellow, gold, red
- Colors you look best in: Brown, cream, orange, gold
- Lipstick shades: Corals and browns
- Jewelry: Gold
- Hair color synopsis: Warm, golden-based shades play up peachy, gold tones in the skin.
- Blonde: Caramel, honey, butterscotch
- Red: Auburn, deep copper, deep ruby
- Brown: Toffee, chestnut, chocolate