Hot date duds: Zap that zit before the big date
So you have a hot date planned? You're unbelievably excited, and then, you look in the mirror and a pimple rudely popped up on your face in a most noticeable place. For most of us, we not only want to jump in bed and hide under the covers until the zit disappears, but we want to pop it. Both "solutions" actually won't help at all!
Popping the pimple will not "kill it" but rather "kills" more of your skin cells by inviting more bacteria in and facilitating more inflammation. Also, the more concentrated dead skin cells means more visible acne marks. Find out how to get rid of that baby in an effective way.
Dr. Agnes Olszewski, Founder of AcnEase, an all-botanical acne treatment, shares her top five at-home skin care remedies to get rid of zits quickly. Remember to have all of this stuff handy so you don't have to scramble the day of your hot date! (Isn't it enough to have to figure out what we're going to be wearing that night?)
For AcnEase clients (if they have 10-12 hours until the date), Dr. Agnes recommends one extra "kick this zit" dose of AcnEase (six tablets), and a 20 minute pimple drying honey compress applied ONLY on the pimple itself. Remove any makeup and/or concealer first, and then dab a bit of honey on the zit using a clean Q-tip, and wait for 20 minutes. Wash it off with warm water. Do not rub. It will help to dry the pimple fast.
Lather up, baby
Use a fresh cabbage mask to heal and moisturize. Cabbage is rich in vitamins and minerals. Its deep cleansing, anti-inflammatory and cooling action makes it a valuable mask for acne sufferers. Try to choose organic vegetables when possible.
- 1/4 small green cabbage
- 1 large carrot, juiced, or 2 tablespoons fresh carrot juice
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons green clay powder (available inexpensively on Amazon)
To make the mask:
- Throw away the outer leaves of the cabbage.
- Rinse and chop the remainder of the cabbage. Combine the cabbage, carrot juice, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and the olive oil in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Mix together 3 tablespoons of the puree with the clay powder.
- Use the cabbage mask once a week.
- Masks are best made and used on the same day. They don't have a good shelf life.
To apply the mask:
- Find a calm time when you are not rushed. Protect your hair with a towel or band and remove all makeup.
- Cleanse the skin with water.
- Steam your face for 1-2 minutes to open the pores (to do this, put hot water in a bowl, put a towel over your head and put your face over the bowl — be careful not to get too close, you don't want you to burn yourself!)
- Apply the mask evenly (avoiding the eyes) and leave it on for around 20 minutes. If the mask has more of a liquid consistency, apply using a cotton ball. A second layer can be applied after a few minutes.
- Lie down and relax — no talking! Keep your face relaxed!
- Wet the mask to soften the clay first, and then remove the mask with cotton pads or a cotton towel and lukewarm water. Then dry.
Oh, how smooth you are
You will then need to close your pores. Chamomile is recognized as having benefits similar to that of drugs with painkiller and anti-inflammatory effects. When applied topically, chamomile can help the inflammation associated with acne.
You can make your own chamomile astringent by taking three to four chamomile tea bags (or two handfuls of the dry chamomile) and brewing a very strong (infusion) tea. When cooled, use on a cotton pad all over your face twice a day. Keep the leftovers in the refrigerator, but use or discard in two days.
Be a sexy witch
If you have at least 10-12 hours until the date, use witch-hazel on a Q-tip three to four times on the pimple (no rubbing, just dab on the pimples for a few seconds). The bark and leaves are astringent; the extract, also referred to as witch hazel, is used medicinally and helps in reducing inflammation and irritation. Again, no popping the pimple! This will create a BIG mess that no makeup will cover.
You are hot enough!
If you are a "hot and spicy" food lover, sacrifice! For about two weeks before the BIG DAY, keep away from fried, greasy and spicy food. Keep to a diet full of fresh veggies (all green leaf products are great) and fruits (those with less sugar like berries) and eat fish rich in omega 3. Also, keep from drinking too much orange juice and other juices high in sugar content.