Adapting your cold-weather wardrobe for the warmer months
As the founders of the clothing line Micky London, we know that the accessories you wear are an expression of your personality. We also know that stylish, quality clothing can be an investment and, to get the most out of your purchases, the clothing you buy should be versatile and timeless.
At Micky London, we strive to provide our wearers with fashionable clothing that fits these standards. That's why we want to explain how to maximize your favorite fall and winter wardrobe pieces during the summer months.
Over the past year or so, scarves have become a must-have accessory. Instead of sporting your favorite scarf during only the fall and winter months, learn how to tie a scarf in a way that fits your own personal style and is appropriate for the warmer season.
- If you're taking a stroll on the beach or taking in a movie at a chilly theater, try wearing your scarf like a shawl by fully wrapping it around your arms and shoulders.
- If you're spending a breezy day outside, pair your scarf with a tank top and jeans, capris or shorts by wearing it looped, infinity style.
- If you're wearing a simple dress, open the scarf a little to show the print underneath. Then, wrap the rest of the scarf around your body.
Also, don't be afraid to throw away the rule book when it comes to wearing a scarf during the summer. While the neck is the most popular place to wear a scarf, spice things up by wearing it boho-style around your head, as a belt around your waist or even as a sarong at the beach or pool.
Because of their chunky appearance and their ability to keep us warm, most people are hesitant to don a great pair of boots during the warmer months. We, however, believe that boots can – and should – be worn during the summer. The most important thing to keep in mind while wearing boots during the summer is that the type of boot you wear depends on the weather.
- If it's raining, rain boots — or gumboots/Wellingtons, as we call them in London — are 100 percent appropriate and stylish. Pair them with your favorite shorts or dress for a fun, flirty look.
- If you live in a warm or humid climate, avoid bulky or suede boots. Instead, stick to delicate rain boots, cowboy boots, ankle boots, mid-calf boots or knee-length boots, and pair them with shorts, mini dresses or casual maxi dresses.
We suggest picking boots in neutral colors, such as white, ivory, light brown or citrus colors, such as pinks, reds and oranges. Black can look stylish and sexy but only if the boot is not bulky and is paired with a breezy outfit.
Long sleeves, pants and skirts
Most people usually put long-sleeved shirts, pants and long skirts away for the summer, but we want you to think again before you retire these pieces. We think that long sleeves, pants and skirts can be worn during the summer as long as they're made from a lightweight fabric, such as linen, cotton and blends. For example, white linen pants are a great summer staple that, even though they're pants, you wouldn't wear during the winter months.
- If it's cold in your office, try sporting pants with a short-sleeved shirt and a scarf to keep you warm and stylish. You could also try a knee-length skirt with a light, long-sleeved shirt to keep you comfortable and office-appropriate.
- If you're on the move throughout the day at work, one of our favorite summer office looks is a light, long-sleeved blouse paired with shorts and a blazer. Paired with a great statement necklace and sandals, this look is professional, stylish, a little bit edgy and warm enough to keep you comfortable when the A/C is on full blast.
Hats, vests and other accessories
We believe that the key to a great outfit is the right accessories — and plenty of confidence, of course! By choosing hats, vests and other accessories in lighter colors and fabrics, these wintry staples can be worn in the summer.
- If you're spending a day at the beach or the pool, choose a summer sun hat to keep you cool and protect your skin from UV damage.
- If you want to freshen up your favorite maxi dress or printed tank top, don't be afraid to layer on a vest from your winter wardrobe. Just be conscious of the colors you're wearing and how you're wearing them. If this tricky fashion task is done correctly, the results can look impeccable!
Remember that just because it's summer, it doesn't mean that you have to show more skin to be stylish. Keep these tips in mind and dress in a way that makes you feel great. We live by these words: If it makes you feel sexy, wear it — no matter what season it is!
Micky London is an up and coming design studio, launched by Abba Manchanda and Kabir Micky Manchanda. The sibling duo set out to offer a brand that brings sophisticated, sexy, unique assortments of fashion accessories (custom jewelry, scarfs and hair accessories) to its customers. The designs represent an attitude inspired by glamour and glitz of New York, London, Dubai and Bombay — the cities that the siblings consider home.