Reality Roundup: Kelly Clarkson
We can't stop but listen to Kelly Clarkson's powerhouse vocals on ABC's Duets, but what are we swooning over even more? Her luscious brown locks! We show you how to steal her hair look, so you too can channel your inner reality star.
With a new hit album out this year, this Grammy Award winner is looking hotter than ever on her new reality TV show. Since we're having total hair envy, celebrity hairstylist Mitch Stone shows us how to get her look with five simple steps.
How to get Kelly's hair
- Note: You can find surf sprays in a variety of price ranges. Check out your drugstore, or ask your stylist for their must-have recommendation.With already dry hair, apply a surf spray all over. Don't soak the hair; you only need to dampen it.
- Apply a volumizer to the roots of your hair, like Mitch Stone's Essentials Volumizing Texture Spray. Once both the surf spray and the volumizer have been applied, flip your head over and dry your hair upside down with your fingers until dry.
- Take half of a section of your hair and wrap it around a medium or large curling iron. The sections do not need to be perfect, and the twist should go in different directions.
- Use a straightening iron in some of the sections around your face. This keeps your hair from looking too overdone and a bit more purposely undone!
- To set the style, use a hair spray with the hold you desire. Try using something that has a stronger hold, so your style lasts all day.
How to get Kelly's makeup look
Do you want to capture Kelly's glow as well? We ask Veil Cosmetics' Sebastien Tardif for his advice.
- The secret to a natural look relies in the complexion. Once your skin is well hydrated, look for hybrid treatment-concealer that matches your skin tone. Target areas of concern, such as dark circles, dark spots and blemishes. (The key is to leave good skin untouched.)
- To capture excess shine, try using blotting papers instead of powder. It makes all the difference, resulting in a completely illuminated looking skin.
- Afterward, whether you choose to color your lips, or bring out your eyes like Kelly's, you will always be the star -- not your makeup.
Quick fashion tip
When Kelly's not on camera, she is a total jeans and T-shirt kind of girl -- must be her Texan roots. If you're relaxing with your boyfriend on the weekend and looking for the perfect tee, keep one word in mind: fit. As long as your T-shirt fits and isn't too tight or too loose, you will instantly embody Kelly's cool-girl, laid-back style. Try Eileen Fisher's Scoop Neck Organic Tee -- you can't imagine how soft it is!