Nail it this fall
For most fashionistas, once a chill is in the air, it means it's time to say goodbye to those bright pinks, corals and yellows that were so popular this summer, and bring out the darker, jewel-toned polishes. Not sure how you feel about yet another season of Essie's Wicked or OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark? Well, no need to settle for the same old polish because three other major nail players, ORLY, Sally Hansen and CND, have you covered. Here's what is hot from these brands this fall.
The ORLY Mineral FX Limited Edition Collection is an innovative formula that delivers deep color and over-the-top opulence with a glam rock edge that is sure to rock nails this fall. ORLY is the first to create a nail polish that provides high impact, pigmented color infused with minerals. Mineral FX draws inspiration from the richness and depth of the tones found in precious metals and rare minerals.
"The Mineral FX Collection is the perfect fall accessory with its mesmerizing holographic sparkles and burnished gold and jewel undertones infused with crystals, glass, mica and silica," says Catherine Baek, the educational manager for ORLY. "Mineral FX lacquers like Emberstone (Red-Orange Shimmer), Stone Cold (Royal Blue Shimmer) and Rock Solid (Gunmetal with Holographic Glitter) are the perfect match to this season's hottest clothing," says Catherine Baek, the educational manager for ORLY.
The Mineral FX Collection lacquers will be available starting in November for $10 each. ORLY nail lacquers and treatment products are available at orlybeauty.com, Sally Beauty and Ulta.
Meanwhile, Sally Hansen took New York Fashion Week by storm, joining forces with Tracy Reese, Prabal Gurung, Rachel Roy, J. Mendel and Stacey Bendet of Alice + Olivia to create exclusive nail colors to complement each of their runway collections. With a vast array of shades, textures and finishes, Sally Hansen's Limited Edition Fall Collection offers all the fashion-forward nail looks needed for the season.
Check out some fun facts about the collection!
- Several of the designers used Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure, an all-in-one formula that combines the components of a professional salon manicure — base coat, strengthener, growth treatment, rich color and top coat — in a single multi-tasking polish.
- Tracy Reese's six bold shades and rich metallics mirror the designer's opulent fall collection. On the runway, models wore Complete Salon Manicure in Shiny Penny, a rich bronze and Oxide, a gunmetal gray.
- Prabal Gurung's five-color Complete Salon Manicure collection features eye-catching brights and creamy pale hues with an edge that reflects the designer's fall collection — Victorian romance with a dark undercurrent.
- Rachel Roy's rich neutral nail, Terracotta, is a creamy toffee Complete Salon Manicure shade — the perfect accent to her pattern-heavy, layered looks.
- Echoing J. Mendel's signature sophistication, Sally Hansen created Mousseline, a custom sheer cream Complete Salon Manicure polish to complement the luxe furs and structured pieces.
- Stacey Bendet of Alice + Olivia utilized Sally Hansen Salon Effects Real Nail Polish Strips in Autumn Violet, a regal purple and Liquid Metal, a glam gray-black, to accompany the designer's party-ready fall separates.
For more information on the complete designer collections, visit SallyHansen.com or purchase them at drug stores and mass merchandisers nationwide.
Other runway nail trends
CND created trend-setting manicures to accessorize the visions of 22 designers on the runway this past Fashion Week, including Jason Wu, Philip Lim, Carolina Herrera, Maladnrino and Monique Lhuillier.
"This fall, manicures are emerging in waves of rich jewel tones, earthy and worn shades and comfortable colors — as cozy as a boyfriend's T-shirt," says CND co-founder and style director, Jan Arnold. The look that came out of these shows was three limited edition colors: Midnight Sapphire, Dark Amethyst and a Sheer 24K Sparkle. These colors are rich and creamy and even after two-coats, dry rather quickly. The brush, which I surely appreciated when applying these luxurious shades, has triangular-shaped nylon hairs for flawless application.
The Midnight Sapphire color is a striking deep cobalt blue that will really go with any fall trends. The Dark Amethyst is a velvety aubergine that is both lavish and universally flattering. Finally, the Sheer 24K Sparkle gives a gold lame effect on top of either color for texture. Whether the full nail, at the tip, a stripe or anything in between, it will add a royal touch to the ordinary manicure. The Fall/Winter 2011 Collection will be available at cnd.com and salons nationwide.