If you have black hair, you have a multitude of choices in flattering lipstick shades. With so many options, you can match your mood and be bold, sweet or sophisticated.
Nothing in the makeup world is more classic than the dramatic red lip. It brings the focus right to your face. If you’re going red, keep the following in mind:
- Go light on your eye makeup; don’t make your lips compete with any other facial feature.
- Black-haired women look their best in a pure red with blue undertones. Avoid those with a brown base.
- Both matte and glossy lip colors work for you. For casual days, try a lipstain. The sheer wash of color will brighten your face but isn’t as dramatic as lipstick.
Other flattering colors to try
All the following work for you:
- Raspberry red
- Bright corals
- Various pinks, including deep true rose, a soft pink a few shades darker than your natural lip color, and even a vivid bubble-gum pink
- Soft colors with a flush of red, rose or pink
Stay away from brown-based and muddy colors; oranges, beiges, nudes and bronzes are not your best choices.