Love affair with lipstick
Beauty and fashion expert Nada Manley was kind enough to give us a few words of wisdom about lipstick -- along with her top brand picks -- so we could share with you!
Lipstick is the one cosmetic that seems to signal womanhood to every young girl. Maybe that's why I'm obsessed with it. Or maybe it's because of its unique transformative ability. Whatever the reason, you can always find at least half a dozen lipsticks rolling around at the bottom of my handbag. That's why I am so thrilled at the return of the lipstick this fall. For some of us, lipstick never went anywhere. At the height of the glossy-glossy lip thing, I still hung on to my tried and true classics, even while dabbling in lip gloss as well. And while gloss can be subtler and very sexy, it doesn't have the impact (or staying power) of a great lipstick! Forget mild-mannered beiges if you want to be fabulous for fall. The most stylish colors are red and hot pink. Suddenly, these old standbys look fresh again, daring and new. The difference between hot pink lipstick now and the way it was worn in the 80s is about balance. Make sure the rest of the face isn't too "done." Clean skin, minimal blush and eye makeup, and a strong lip make a stylish statement without going overboard! Here, my top five picks for fall:
- Lancome Pout a Porter in P.S. Peter Som, $26. Became available October 1st at Nordstrom's and Bergdorf, but you need to be on the waiting list. Yes, the waiting list. Call now!
- Benefit 24K Sexy Gold Lipstick, $20. Available now, only at Sephora.
- Nars Lipstick in Fire Down Below, $23: A classic pure red in a semi-matte finish.
- MAC Viva Glam, $14: The original, and my all-time favorite red.
- L'Oreal HIP High Intensity Pigments Intensely Moisturizing Lip Color in Vivacious, $10: A gorgeous, flattering bright-pink.
Nada Manley is a recognized fashion and beauty writer with over 1,000 magazine articles to her credit. She has made numerous television appearances as a fashion and beauty expert on FOX News and E! Entertainment Television. Her book, Secrets of the Beauty Insiders, is the culmination of her lifelong obsession with beauty. Check out her blog at www.beautyinsiderblog.com.