For After School
Give hungry kids a healthy after school snack that will give them natural energy instead of sugary foods that will make them sluggish. Here are a few ideas on how to keep after school snacks healthy and satisfying.
(page 2 of 2)
Pita Pizza recipe
Makes 4 servings
- 4 whole mini whole grain pita breads
- 1 cup prepared pesto sauce
- 2 cups grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- Slice pita breads in half so there are 8 pieces.
- Spread pesto sauce over top of each pita half then top with mozzarella cheese and tomato slices.
- Place pita halves in a preheated toaster oven and heat until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
Low-Fat Caramel Corn recipe
Makes 8 cups
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 cups plain air popped popcorn
- Combine honey, butter, and vanilla in a saucepan and heat until butter is melted and mixture is thin.
- Drizzle mixture over popcorn and stir well.
- Spread popcorn on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Let cool and separate kernels when ready to eat.
Tropical Fruit Smoothie recipe
Makes 2 servings
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt or frozen yogurt
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Combine pineapple with strawberries, banana, yogurt, and ice in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
More healthy after school snack ideas