To reduce risk, Young recommends reserving one credit card for online shopping to minimize cleanup or cancellations, if an account is breached.
"Keep the limit low and check statements regularly - and carefully," said Young, who offered these tips:
* Make sure the site is secure. The address will begin with https-the S is for secure; the bottom of the site will feature a padlock icon.
* Choose a reputable business.
* Do some homework about the product you want to buy and what it typically costs.
* Ask how the company protects personal information.
* Ask about payment options.
* Keep a record of your purchases.
* Be careful, if giving out personal information.
More information on personal financial management is available at county and district K-State Research and Extension offices and on the Extension Web site: www.oznet.ksu.edu/financialmanagement.
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!