Crock pots work best when the meat does not have a lot of fat on it so use cheaper and leaner pieces of chicken. The chicken will cook quicker with fat on it and could turn rubbery, resulting in an unpleasant texture. Remove the skin from your chicken before cooking it. For best results, use leaner pieces of chicken like the breast, which will not only save money, but when cooked for a long time, will result in a tender juicy piece of meat.
Cooking times: You can easily adjust your favorite oven or stove based chicken soup, stew, or sauce recipes to the slow cooker. You simply need to adjust the cooking times and decrease the amount of water by about 1/3 or 1/2 (unless you are preparing soup) as the water will not evaporate while cooking. If your recipe requires between 15 and 30 minutes on the stove or in the oven, then it will cook in 4 to 6 hours (low setting) or 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours (high setting); 30 to 45 minutes translates to 6 to 8 hours (low) and 3 to 4 hours (high); 45 minutes to 3 hours will be 8 to 16 hours (low) or 4 to 6 hours (high).
Place ingredients appropriately: Pay close attention to the order in which you add the ingredients to the crock pot. Generally, vegetables cook slower than meat so they should be added first and to the bottom and then the meat added on top.
Makes 8 servings Ingredients:
1. Combine chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic to crock pot; add water and broth and sprinkle with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf; stir in corn and cover with lid.
2. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
3. When ready to serve, preheat oven to 200 degrees F and brush a baking sheet with oil. Place tortilla strips on baking sheet and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until crispy.
4. Top soup with sour cream and tortilla strips.
Makes 6 servings Ingredients:
1. Combine chicken, tomatoes, onion, water, chili powder, salt, pepper, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire, garlic, and Tabasco in slow cooker. Place lid on and cook 5 to 6 hours on low or 2 to 3 hours on high.
2. Spoon chicken on buns and serve.
Makes 4 servings Ingredients:
1. Quickly brown chicken in 1 tablespoon canola oil then place in slow cooker.
2. Combine Alfredo sauce, corn, peas, mushrooms, onion, water, garlic salt, and pepper in slow cooker; place lid on and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. Serve over fettuccine.
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!