Makes 8 tacos
Get your kids involved in making these mouthwatering – and healthy – fish tacos. Let them mix together the topping for the fish as well as the simple cabbage slaw. Fruit salsa adds an element of fun to this classic Mexican dish.
2 pounds cod fillets, rinsed, patted dry
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
Juice of 2 limes
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove minced
6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
2 cups red cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1-1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
8 corn tortillas, warmed
Homemade or store-bought fruit salsa (mango or peach)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place fish in a baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, onion, garlic, and 4 tablespoons cilantro. Spoon mixture on top of fish. Cover baking dish loosely with foil. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until fish flakes when pressed gently with the back of a fork.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, mix cabbage, green onion, remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro and the cider vinegar until well-combined.
4. Divide fish among tortillas, flaking slightly. Add 1/4 cup of slaw to each and fold tortilla in half to hold filling. Garnish with sour cream and salsa.
Makes 8 tacos
For a fusion taco experience, grilled chicken kabobs are a treat to pull apart and stuff in tortillas along with colorful shredded fruit and vegetables. The tangy yogurt and feta cheese gives these tacos great global taste.
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 apple, cored, grated
2 carrots, grated
2 green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
1 cup fresh spinach leaves, finely sliced
8 corn or (small) flour tortillas, warmed
Plain Greek yogurt
Crumbled feta cheese
1. Preheat grill to medium high. In a large bowl, whisk together spices and olive oil. Add chicken and toss well to coat.
2. Thread chicken pieces onto skewers (if using wooden, soak in water for 30 minutes before using). Grill for 7 to 9 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove, tent with foil and keep warm until ready to serve.
3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss together apple, carrots, greens onions and spinach. Place apple mixture on table along with tortillas, bowls of yogurt and feta, and skewers of chicken. To serve, let your kids fill tortillas with chicken and apple mixture, garnishing with yogurt and feta.
These sweet taco treats are a delicious display of the versatility of tortillas and the tasty outcome of being adventurous with everyday ingredients.
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons firmly packed sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1/4 cup plain yogurt
4 bananas, peeled, sliced lengthwise
Miniature chocolate chips or finely chopped chocolate
8 corn or small flour tortillas, warmed
Toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
1. In a medium-sized bowl, whip cream cheese, sugar, molasses and yogurt until smooth. Set aside.
2. Place bananas in a microwave-safe dish, loosely cover, and microwave on MEDIUM power for 2 minutes or until softened and warm. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds to warm chocolate chips.
3. To serve, spread cream cheese on the inside of each tortilla. Place half a banana with chocolate chips on the center. Fold and garnish with chopped walnuts and whipped cream.?
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!