A simple but superlative combination of sugar and peanut butter dipped in a white candy coating can become an afternoon edible craft with your kids, an impressive sweet nibble for a holiday party, and an easy treat to take to the school’s bake sale. Peanut Butter Snowballs are not only addictive in their most basic form, you can make them even harder to resist with a tasty array of variations on the peanut butter filling as well as the candy coating.
Peanut Butter Snowballs
Makes 2 dozen
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup creamy natural peanut butter, stirred well
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
16 ounces white confectionary coating or white almond bark coating
1. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. In a medium-sized bowl, combine sugar, peanut butter and butter.
2. Shape mixture into 24 (1-inch) balls. Place on the baking sheet. Chill for 30 minutes or until firm.
3. Meanwhile, place white candy coating in a double boiler (or in a heat-safe bowl over a pot of water at a low boil). Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
4. Place peanut butter balls on a candy dipping fork or regular fork and dip into warm candy coating. When each ball is covered, transfer to baking sheet and allow to harden.
- Substitute white confectionary coating with dark or milk chocolate chips.
- Replace creamy peanut butter with crunchy peanut butter.
- Use almond butter, cashew butter or another nut butter instead of peanut butter.
- Add cocoa powder to the peanut butter mixture before rolling into balls.
- Stir minced candied ginger into the peanut butter mixture before rolling into balls.
- Sprinkle snowballs with shredded coconut while the candy coating is setting up.
- Dust snowballs with ground cinnamon, chili powder or cocoa while candy coating is setting up.
- Decorate with sprinkles, edible glitter, finely chopped nuts, or crushed candy cane while candy coating is setting up.
Add a few drops of natural food color to the melted confectionary coating.?
FOR MORE SHEKNOWS RECIPES:
S'mores sandwich bar cookies
5 fabulous peanut butter recipes
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cheesecake Bars