Bald is beautiful
Bald is beautiful

the best things about being bald

Whether you are going through cancer treatments, suffering from alopecia or experiencing hair loss for any other reason, embrace your baldness. Being bald can be beautiful for a number of reasons.

You can never have a bad hair day

A bad haircut, trying to grow out your bangs, no time to wash your hair in the morning — these are all things of the past. When you are bald, you can never have a bad hair day. At the most, you'll need to take a few minutes to shave your head in the morning, and maybe pluck your eyebrows.

You'll never get caught with your roots showing

"How much money do women waste a year on coloring and styling their hair?" exclaims Texas mom Brenda Stephaniani.

"Now that I'm bald, I can just stroll on by the hair aisle"

Brenda originally lost her hair during chemotherapy treatment for breast cancer. She's been cancer-free for over six years, but she chose to stay bald. Why? "Because it's so much easier!" she says. "I went gray when I was 24. Over the years, I spent so much money worrying about my roots. Now that I'm bald, I can just stroll on by the hair aisle at the store without giving it a second thought."

Being bald really brings out your eyes

They say that bangs and face-framing highlights will accentuate your eyes. But do you know what will really show off your beautiful peepers? That's right — being bald!

No one will notice if you've gained a little weight

Everyone will be looking at your beautiful bald head so much, they'll never notice if you packed on a couple of pounds. So go ahead and have that cupcake. You can hit the gym next week.

You can be whoever you want to be

Though you love your baldness, you can also love being a redhead, brunette or blonde any day of the week. Stock up on a few wigs and have some fun.

Being bald makes you different

Being bald makes you unique, remarkable and noteworthy. You stand out from the crowd. In a sea of women, they'll always be able to pick out the bald, beautiful one.

You can spend more money on clothes

Shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, leave-ins — the list goes on and on. "With the money you save on hair products and styling tools, you can spend more on clothes, facials or whatever else makes you feel beautiful," says cancer survivor Jeannie Matthews. Matthews chooses to shave her head, even though she's been free of breast cancer for three years.

You get a lot of attention

"Being a bald woman makes you unique — it makes you stand out," Matthews says. "You get a lot of attention from men, and almost all of it is positive. And as shallow as it may sound, attention and compliments make you feel beautiful and special. Everybody likes some extra attention."

Confidence is beautiful

"There's something about surviving cancer that makes you feel vulnerable yet confident at the same time," says Matthews. "Of course, you know that it could come back, but you also know that you faced it head on. You battled it. You conquered it. It's empowering, and makes you confident in other aspects of your life. And everyone knows, confidence is beautiful."

Being bald can make people think

Sharon, a model and an actress, originally lost her hair after going through chemotherapy. Now, she shaves it off. In an interview with photographer and writer Enzo dal Verme, she said: "And now that I have survived, I feel the growing need to communicate to as many people as possible that it is important to love oneself. It isn't easy. For someone like me it really took such a powerful experience to wake me up. But I am determined. I decided to use my image as a bald woman to get people to think, and so far things are going very well."

More from SheKnows Cares

How your strides can save lives
Tips for organizing local fundraisers
Breast cancer survivor stories

Comments

Comments on "Top 10 reasons it’s beautiful to go bald"

Judy December 26, 2013 | 3:16 PM

I lost all my hair when I went through chemo treatments.In those early days,I often wore a hat to hide my bald head but in the end I knew all I was doing was covering up the truth so I stopped wearing it and didn't care what others thought.When my hair started growing back again,I discovered I was much more comfortable being bald so I had it all shaved off until there was nothing left.It was later finshed with a razor and shave cream and once again,I felt normal not to mention it made me feel beautiful and natural and I have no intention of growing it back and my hair is gone forever.Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.It feels good to be bald by choice.I love my bald head.

Lora Lee LaDeaux November 21, 2013 | 5:37 PM

I have been bald since I was 13. I am now 55. Bald is beautiful, yeah to a mom or a cancer survivor, but try living in the real world people. Acceptance is one thing and bravo to those who embrace it.

Mary August 30, 2013 | 3:13 AM

During brain surgery my head was shaved. When I came home I loved it - I looked more like Alexi Sayle than Sinead O'Connor so wasn't beautiful at all but I loved the feel of my head under my hands - backwards and forwards, feeling the stubble grow every day. The grandchildren loved it too, especially counting where the staples had been. When my hair grew back it was the same length all over, something no hairdresser has achieved. But I really don't like the fashion for shaven headed men. Or 'clean' shaven chins, it scratches. A big beard is soft and feels good. My naturally bald husband has a big, curly beard, Nature knows best!

SpinkellaSapphire August 26, 2013 | 12:01 AM

The only reason I'm not a big fan of being bald is because I think it is hard to draw ^^; Though, I do find male hair hard to draw, too OTL Please do not hate. This is a silly artist's opinion on trying to DRAW bald heads!! :>

Linda July 07, 2013 | 2:10 PM

AesopsRetreat_com, you are so angry...... and hateful. These are people's OPINION, which we are all entitled to. So stop being such a hateful sorehead, not to mention a total IDIOT!!!

Taiwo June 30, 2013 | 11:58 AM

when a white person does it - its okay? but when a black woman does it, its talk of the town. :(

randy June 24, 2013 | 3:41 PM

I'm 62 and still get excited when I see a woman whose bald.

Mike June 05, 2013 | 6:47 PM

This guy loves bald women.I am hoping one day to see my gf shaved bald. Bald women are hot.

AesopsRetreat_com May 18, 2013 | 1:26 AM

No, Bald is NOT "beautiful". How dare you be so patronizing to people who need encouragement rather than your fake pity. Bald is no different than not being bald. Its just a different (very short) hairstyle. Stop treating bald people as though you have to pamper them, as if you think they lack self respect because of their baldness - so you need to magically "pump them up". People know you're being FAKE (and patronizing) when you tell them "Bald is Beautiful" yet you're still walking around with a full head of fluffy and shiny, freshly dyed, styled, and flowing hair.

Barbara May 10, 2013 | 8:02 AM

Bald is indeed beautiful. My daughter survived leukemia, diagnosed at 17. She "went bald" with earrings and was gorgeous and pleased. People would stop her on the street and compliment her on her style. I know lots of other teens who did this, plus one adult friend. An idea for the adventurous -- artistic henna drawing on head --can be beautiful.

Ang May 05, 2013 | 3:55 PM

To Arista: This article wasn't meant to justify the beauty of baldness to the world, it was meant to show those who are bald and don't feel beautiful that they ARE beautiful. In my opinion, this was a great inspiring article.

Kelly May 02, 2013 | 5:29 PM

Bald Is Beautiful!!!!!!!!

Arista May 02, 2013 | 12:24 AM

This is a poor article. You don't need a contradictory top ten list to convince the world (or justify shallow reasoning to yourself) that bald people are beautiful too. Of course they're beautiful, because they're still the same person. And anyone who has endured a disability or fought though a disease is likely to have far more confidence than most because when you're fighting for your WHOLE life you put things like hair, fingernails, teeth on your 'figure it out later' list. Battling those manner of things makes you stronger inside and that is the beauty that shines through on the outside.

Ryan March 31, 2013 | 10:24 AM

I see baldness as just another hair style or lack thereof, not to mention its extremely stylish! Personally, I think it looks beautiful on some women and I instantly have this feeling of respect and admiration for the brave women who wears it.

Tony March 05, 2013 | 4:56 PM

My wife became bald while undergoing chemotherapy. She was quite comfortable with it and I still loved the warm y woman I fell in love with!

fredp January 24, 2013 | 8:38 PM

NUMBER 11: After a loving session, you never have to comb out the hair tangles!!!!!!

Cynthia Purviance September 24, 2012 | 2:58 PM

I became bald for my mom she was diagnosis with breast cancer and during the chemo treatment her hair started to fall out, which made her very un happy so I decided to shave my hair off and not let it grow back until she was cleared from cancer, thank God she is cancer free now, but now I don't want hair anymore, so as long as there's cancer I will not have hair, I simply love being baled.