Here are our favorite charitable vintners and wines.
Vintners Charitable Cooperative
From complex reds to bright whites, the Vintners Charitable Cooperative offers a large variety of wines to choose from. So how does it work exactly? Go to the website, select your favorite wine, choose your charity and wait for your shipment! It’s that easy. The best part is that 10 percent of each purchase supports your charity. If you become a Wine Club member, 25 percent of your shipment will support your nonprofit organization of choice. Hey, who wouldn't love a regular wine delivery?
Charities that the VCC has helped since its inception in 2009:
Dog Lover's Wine Club
"Must love dogs... and wine," should be their tagline. Dog Lover's Wine Club (DLWC), a California-based boutique winery, supports the Humane Society of the United States. Not only are these aromatic wines delivered to your doorstep monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly, each label is a work of art featuring a precious shelter dog. With names like Lassy Red and Big Buddy Syrah, this would make a perfect gift for the dog lover in your life.
This winery works a little differently, but we like it because it's personalized. It's just like when your kids sell candy or wrapping paper to raise funds for school. Choose an organization you'd like to raise funds for, send in a photo, and DLWC will create a custom label based on your image. You and your supporters take and submit orders for the wine, and your group keeps 30 percent of the proceeds for your charity.
Wines for breast cancer research
There are so many charitable wines that support breast cancer research, that we couldn't choose just one. And since we've all heard that red wine can help reduce your risk of breast cancer, wine for breast cancer research makes total sense to us. Here are a few to tip your glass to:
- The Oceanside Series by Precious Vines includes four distinctly labeled organic wines illustrating the connection between mother and child and boasting the pink ribbon symbol. With the sale of each bottle, $5 goes toward The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
- J. Lohr Vineyards' Touching Lives program donates $2 from the sale of each bottle of Carol's Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Sauvignon to provide mammograms for women who cannot otherwise afford them. The program was started in memory of Carol Waldorf Lohr, late wife of founder Jerry Lohr, who died of breast cancer-related complications.
- With over 80 stores across 12 states, Total Wine & More puts Drink Pink tags on select bottles of wine, including Petals Riesling or Sweet Red, any B. Lovely, Radius, Summit Estates or Red Decadence Chocolate Red wine purchased every October. For each case purchased, $4 is donated to breast cancer treatment and research.
ONEHOPE Wine donates an astounding 50 percent of its profits to partner charities benefiting a variety of causes and has raised $750,000 to date. They believe that hope is all about making the world better and that wine is a living, breathing commodity that has always helped bring people together. So why not unite the two? The wine is so popular, it's been served at the Grammy's, The American Red Cross Gala, The Sundance Film Festival and more!
Charities supported by ONEHOPE:
- Fight Against Autism
- Fight Against Breast Cancer
- Fight Against AIDS
- Supporting Our Planet
- Supporting Our Troops
- Supporting Children's Hospitals
Next time you're about to raise a glass, purchase one of these benefit wines and toast to a good cause.
More ways to donate
Donate your hair to cancer patients
Give blood to save lives
Top 10 ways to give back