- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 2 hr
- Total: 2 hr 30 min
- Serving: 4 People
The fragrant aroma of this lemon chicken dish will warm you right up on a cold winter's day.
- 3-4 pound whole chicken
- juice of 6 squeezed lemons
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 6 onions sliced
- 2 red peppers seeded and sliced or 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and dry chicken. Cut into pieces.
- Mix lemon juice, onions, garlic and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large bowl or ceramic casserole dish.
- Add chicken pieces and turn to coat. Marinate for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator. Turn occasionally.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Remove chicken from the marinade and brown in hot oil until brown on all sides.
- Strain the marinade and remove the onions and garlic. Save the liquid.
- Saute the onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until soft.
- Add chicken, bay leaf, red peppers or cayenne, salt and pepper and enough of the marinade liquid to keep the chicken moist.
- Simmer until chicken is tender about 1-11/2 hours.
- Serve over white or brown rice.