- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 15 min
- Serving: Makes 12 Servings
A perfect contrasting dish to pair with a rich and hearty main course meal, this crisp and fresh winter salad is made with a combination of fennel, celery, English hothouse cucumbers and shallots.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced
- 3 (3/4- to 1-pound) fennel bulbs, tough outer layers and fronds discarded, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced
- 6 celery stalks, very thinly sliced crosswise diagonally
- 2 (1 pound) English (hothouse) cucumbers, scrubbed well and unpeeled, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced crosswise diagonally
- Put the shallots, fennel, celery and cucumbers into a salad bowl and set aside.
- Place the garlic into a bowl and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt. Mash the mixture to form a paste and then add the vinegar, mustard, and sugar.
- Whisk the mixture vigorously until all of the sugar and salt have completely dissolved, then slowly pour in the oil continuing to whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Add the shallots, stir to combine and then drizzle the vinaigrette over the vegetables. Toss well to coat and then serve.