- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 15 min
- Serving: 1
This is a great dough you can make ahead of time and freeze.
- 4 tablespoons butter, chilled, cut into Â½ inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled, cut into Â½ inch pieces
- 1 Â¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Â¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- Blend flour, salt, and baking powder in a food processor.
- Add butter and vegetable shortening, pulsing machine until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons ice water and pulse machine until moist clumps form and dough just comes together.
- Add additional water by teaspoonful if dough is dry.
- Dump dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a ball.
- Do not overwork, it will toughen the crust.
- Wrap with plastic wrap, flattening dough into a 1 inch disk with the heel of your hands.
- Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour to chill.
- Dough can be refrigerated for up to two days or frozen for up to a month.
- Let refrigerated dough soften slightly at room temperature before rolling out.
- Frozen dough can be thawed within a few hours in the refrigerator.