- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: 8
Use your boiling skills to prepare the macaroni, mix in the additional ingredients and prepare for a cheesy bowl of taste and comfort. Nutty whole wheat macaroni coated with reduced-fat cheese is given crunch and color with red and orange bell peppers
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (5 ounce) onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Â½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1 (6 ounce) red bell pepper, seeded, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 (6 ounce) orange bell pepper, seeded, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 Â½ cups lowfat 1% milk
- Â¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese or cheese of your choice
- Â½ cup light sour cream or plain yogurt
- Pour macaroni into a large pot of boiling water and cook until al dente, or firm tender, about 8 minutes.
- Drain with a colander and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine butter, onion and garlic and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until onion is soft, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add macaroni and reduce heat to low.
- Mix in paprika, black pepper, salt and bell peppers. Gradually add milk stirring constantly until warm and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cheeses and sour cream, removing from heat when cheese is melted.
- Stir for another minute and serve immediately.