- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: 1 loaf
- 1 1/2 cups dates, pitted and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, pour the boiling water over the dates. Allow to cool.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar. Add egg and beat until fluffy.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder together. Mix in the whole wheat flour and the nuts.
- Mix together the date mixture and the sugar mixture. Add in the flour mixture, a quarter at a time, until incorporated, do not overmix.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until done.