- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: 12 people
Whole wheat blueberry muffins are a healthier version of the classic.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. CALUMET Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in large bowl.
- Whisk egg, buttermilk and applesauce in medium bowl until well blended.
- Add to flour mixture; stir just until blended. (Do not overmix.)
- Gently stir in berries.
- Spoon into 12 muffin cups sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake 20 to 25 min. or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan 10 min.; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- If using frozen blueberries, toss the unthawed blueberries with 2 Tbsp. flour before adding to batter to help prevent the color from bleeding into batter while muffins bake.
- Nutrition Information Per Serving: 120 calories, 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g polyunsaturated fat, 0g monounsaturated fat, 0g trans fat, 20mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 11g sugars, 3g protein, 0%DV vitamin A, 0%DV vitamin C, 15%DV calcium, 6%DV iron. Exchange: 1-1/2 Starch Dietary Exchanges (or Exchange Calculations) based on Choose Your Foods: Exchange Lists for Diabetes © 2008 by the American Diabetes Association and the American Dietetic Association.