- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Serves 6
This warm and satisfying soup makes a great simple supper.
- 1 pound dried white beans (cannellini)
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound kielbasa, sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
- 1 pound kale, washed, stems and center ribs discarded, and chopped
- Soak beans overnight, changing the water several times. Then simmer the beans in enough water to cover them for about 30 minutes, or until they are about half way to tender.
- Saute onions in oil in a large pot over medium-low heat until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add beans, broth, 1 quart water, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and rosemary and simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes. Add the squash and simmer another 30 minutes until beans and squash are tender.
- While soup is simmering, brown kielbasa in a heavy skillet over medium heat, then transfer to paper towels to drain. Stir in kale, sausage and remaining quart of water and simmer uncovered, until kale is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper and serve.