- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: 5 Servings
Warm up on a chilly winter’s night with this hearty and satisfying white bean soup with Italian sausage and kale. Serve with thick slices of crusty peasant bread and chunks of aged yellow cheese.
- 12 ounces fresh mild Italian sausage links, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 15-ounce cans white kidney (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 14 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place the water and the sausage into a large sauté pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the mixture, covered, for 10 minutes. Uncover the pan and cook the sausage for an additional 5 minutes then remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the meantime, put the olive oil in a soup pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 6 minutes, then stir in the beans, broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and cook over medium-low heat for 6 minutes.
- Add the sausage and kale to the pot and simmer the mixture for 4 minutes. Add a few pinches of salt and pepper to taste and then serve hot.