- Prep: 4 hr 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 4 hr 50 min
- Serving: 18
Wheat Germ Yogurt Bread, a hearty loaf full of flavor and texture, is sweeten with honey and molasses.
- 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup skim milk powder
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup each honey, molasses
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups flour
- 1 cup each wheat germ, bran
- 1 egg, beaten
- Combine first 4 ingredients in large bowl, mixing well.
- Heat 2-3/4 cups water, yogurt, honey and molasses in saucepan to 115 degrees on thermometer. Add to dry ingredients, beating well.
- Add oil and 2 cups flour, beating well. Stir in wheat germ and bran. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on floured surface for 4 to 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease surface. Let rise, covered, in warm place until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down. Divide into 12 equal parts.
- Shape dough into 12-inch ropes. Braid 3 ropes together to make 4 loaves. Place in greased pans.
- Let rise, covered, until doubled in bulk. Brush with egg and sprinkle with wheat germ. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes.