- Prep: 1 hr 20 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 2 hr 5 min
- Serving: 8 servings
Wheat berries are whole wheat kernels that are packed with valuable nutrition. Their slightly chewy and nutty flavor makes a wonderful base for grain salads.
- 1-1/2 cups wheat berries
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried figs, chopped finely
- 1/2 medium red onion (about 1/3 pound), finely diced
- 3 large stalks celery, finely diced
- 1/4 cup good-quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, from 2 lemons
- 1 cup roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- Handful fresh parsley or mint, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the wheat berries according to package directions, drain and then place in a bowl.
- In the meantime, put the rice vinegar, orange juice, and honey into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir in the raisins and the figs and then cover the pan and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Place the cooked wheat berries, onion, celery, olive oil, lemon zesty, fruit mixture, almonds, parsley and a few pinches of salt and pepper into a bowl and toss well to combine.
- Cover the salad and set aside for 1 hour at room temperature to allow the flavors to meld.