- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 18 min
- Total: 28 min
- Serving: 6
Dine on these sharp and savorous crab cakes as a light lunch or dinner or present them as an appetizer for grander meals.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Â½ cup chopped shallots
- Â½ cup celery, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch salt
- Â½ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon wasabi paste
- Â¼ cup fine chopped parsley
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg white
- 1 pound crabmeat, flaked (or imitation crabmeat)
- In a large bowl combine mayonnaise, wasabi paste, parsley, bread crumbs, egg white and crabment.
- Heat Â½ teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook onion, celery and garlic, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and remove skillet from burner.
- Season with salt and transfer onion mixture to a large mixing bowl to cool slightly.
- Add mayonnaise, wasabi, parsley, bread crumbs, egg white and crabmeat to onion mixture and combine well.
- Form mixture into 6 balls and flatten into cakes, each about 4 inches in diameter.
- Cakes can be refrigerated and cooked later, at this point.
- Heat 1 Â½ teaspoons of oil over medium-high heat in skillet used for onion mixture.
- Place crabcakes in skillet and cook until lightly browned on both sides, about 5 to 7 minutes per side.