- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 9 min
- Total: 19 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
This German-inspired red cabbage salad is made up of a delicious combination of cabbage, apples and caraway seeds, all tossed with a tangy vinaigrette dressing.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1/4 large head)
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 crisp, sweet apple cut into matchsticks
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- Place the oil in a large saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add the cabbage and the caraway seeds to the pan and cook, covered, for 9 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cabbage mixture with salt and remove from heat. Mix in the apple, shallot, vinegar, mustard and pepper and toss to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a salad bowl and garnish with the toasted sesame seeds.