- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: Serves 6-8
A gorgeous appetizer for your next dinner party that pairs a warm wheel of ripe Camembert cheese with an assortment of spiced wild mushrooms. Serve with crackers or fresh bread, along with a red wine from Bordeaux or Burgundy.
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1, 8-ounce wheel of ripe Camembert in its wooden box, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 3/4 pound wild mushrooms, brushed, trimmed, caps thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large sage leaves, minced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 7 minutes until fragrant and golden brown.
- Take the Camembert cheese out of its box and unwrap it. Place the cheese on the bottom of its wooden box and then place in the oven on a baking sheet. Bake the cheese for about 8-10 minutes until cheese becomes very soft.
- As the cheese warms, pour the walnut oil into a large sauté pan and cook the mushrooms, covered, over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Uncover and season with salt and pepper and continue to cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Place the shallot into the pan and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the parsley, sage, walnuts and sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
- Remove the Camembert from the oven, flip and place onto a serving platter. Spoon over the mushroom mixture and serve immediately.