- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 55 min
- Serving: 8
Walnut Cocoa Cake is an elegant layer cake flavored with cinnamon and orange peel.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon, nutmeg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/4 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 pound box confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream shortening and sugar together in bowl until light. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add honey and 2 teaspoons orange peel, beating until light and creamy.
- Sift 1/3 cup cocoa and next 5 dry ingredients together. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in 3/4 cup walnuts.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9 inch layer pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Let cake stand for 5 minutes. Turn onto wire racks to cool.
- Combine 1/4 cup cocoa and butter in mixer bowl. Add confectioners' sugar and cream beating until smooth. Stir in vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon orange peel, mixing well.
- Spread between layers and over top and side of cake. Pat remaining 1/2 cup walnuts around side.