- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Total: 1 hr 55 min
- Serving: 8
Viva Pork and Beans is filled with flavorful sausage and pork. Hot pepper sauce gives it a bit of a kick.
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage links, cut in small chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds pork stew meat, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 3 green peppers, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2, 17 ounce cans chickpeas, drained
- 2, 6 ounce cans tomato paste
- generous dash of hot pepper sauce
- In Dutch oven over medium heat, brown sausage chunks and garlic; increase heat to medium-high; add pork and continue cooking until all meat is well browned.
- Stir in 2 cups water, green peppers, tomatoes, onions, salt, cumin and pepper; cover and simmer over low heat one hour or until pork is tender. Stir in chickpeas, tomato paste and hot pepper sauce; cook 15 minutes.