- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 4
Vermicelli with Cheese Sauce is made with Swiss and Parmesan cheese and studded with mushrooms.
- 1/2, 16 ounce package vermicelli
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan, grated
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- In large kettle, prepare vermicelli as package directs; drain. Return vermicelli to kettle and keep warm.
- Meanwhile in 2 quart saucepan over medium-heat, in 2 tablespoons butter, cook mushrooms until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove mushrooms to plate; keep warm.
- In same saucepan over medium heat, in 2 tablespoons butter, cook carrots until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended; cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is slightly thickened. Stir in cheeses and parsley until cheese is melted.
- Gently toss vermicelli in saucepot with cheese sauce; spoon mixture onto warm platter; top with mushrooms. Serve immediately.