- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: Serves 4 people
Good for you and tasty, too, Veggie Reuben Sandwiches are a bit different from the traditional sandwich. You'll love this lower-fat version!
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup of thinly sliced onions, separated into rings
- 2 cups of prepared sauerkraut, rinsed & drained
- 8 slices of rye bread
- 3 tablespoons sweet hot mustard
- 4, 1-ounce slices of Swiss cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Spray a medium-sized saute pan with the non-stick cooking spray. Over medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and onions. Cook and stir until the mushrooms are tender and onions slightly browned (about 5 minutes). Reduce the heat to low and add the sauerkraut. Cook for another 4 minutes until the sauerkraut is completely warmed through.
- Add the bread slices to an ungreased baking sheet. Broil the bread for about 1-2 minutes, or until toasted (be careful to watch the bread so it doesn't burn).
- To the toasted side of the bread, add the mustard, top with 1/4 of the sauerkraut mixture, 1 slice of cheese, and another slice of bread. Return the sandwiches to the baking sheet and broil another 1-2 minutes until the bread is toasted and the cheese begins to melt.