- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 55 min
- Serving: 6
Vegetarian Polenta Pie is filled with mushrooms and spinach and is a great make ahead meal.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 pound fresh white mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1, 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1 cup instant polenta or cornmeal
- additional pesto or tomato sauce, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9 inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over high heat until hot. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove 1 cup mushrooms to a small bowl; stir in 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese; set aside. Into mushrooms remaining in skillet, stir spinach and 1/4 cup pesto; cook until hot, about 2 minutes.
- Cook polenta according to package directions. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 7 tablespoons of cheese. Spread half of the polenta in the prepared pie plate. Spoon the mushroom-spinach mixture over the polenta; with a knife, spread the remaining polenta on top; top with the remaining mushroom-Parmesan mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, until heated through, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes; cut in wedges. Serve on a bed of tomato sauce or top with a dollop of pesto.
- Make polenta pie and cover with aluminum foil; store in refrigerator up to 24 hours. To reheat, bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes or until heated through.