- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: Serves 4
Everyone likes the creamy and comforting taste of risotto. Try this vegetarian version made with broccoli and cheddar cheese.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets and stems
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup melon-seed-shaped pasta
- 3/4 cup Arborio rice
- 2-1/4 cup vegetable broth, warm
- 1-1/2 sea salt
- 1 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1/3 cup aged yellow cheddar, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoons truffle butter
- 1 tablespoons curly parsley, finely chopped to garnish
- Thoroughly wash the broccoli and separate the florets from the stems.
- Bring a large pan of water to boil with a sprinkle of salt. Blanch the broccoli by placing it into the boiling water for 3 minutes and then rinsing with cold water. Drain and coarsely chop.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil on medium-high heat and sauté the garlic until fragrant; remove from pan and set aside. Add the shallots and sauté for two minutes. Set aside with the garlic and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
- Place 3 tablespoons butter in the sauté pan and then add the pasta and the rice; mix to coat. Slowly pour in 1 cup of the vegetable broth, stirring constantly.
- When mixture begins to boil, lower heat and add garlic powder and cheddar cheese. Simmer the mixture, covered, for 20 minutes, yet keep checking liquid levels and adding 1/4 cup of stock when liquid is absorbed. Add the broccoli stems and salt. Continue simmering for 15 more minutes.
- Sprinkle in the Parmesan cheese and truffle butter and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley.