- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Makes 8 rolls
These vegetable spring rolls are easy to prepare and not fried and heavy like egg rolls. Fresh spring vegetables and herbs can be stuffed inside and accompanied with a sweet or spicy dipping sauce.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, finely sliced
- 1 zucchini, finely sliced like matchsticks
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely sliced like matchsticks
- 1 leek, trimmed, finely sliced like matchsticks
- 5 ounces mushrooms, trimmed, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dry chilies or hot red-pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- 8 (14-by-9-inch sheets) phyllo pastry, thawed if frozen
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Store-bought chili sauce, for serving
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté all vegetables with the garlic and red pepper over high heat for 7 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt. Take vegetables out of pan using a slotted spoon and let drain and cool on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and brush a sheet of phyllo dough with melted butter and fold one buttered side over the other. Slice ends off to make a square 6-inch by 6-inch sheet. Continue with the rest of the phyllo. Brush the squares with more melted butter and top with vegetables. Roll one corner of the phyllo toward the middle. When you reach the center, tuck in the sides to encase the filling, then continue to roll up. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling.
- Put rolls on a baking sheet and season with pepper. Bake for 15 minutes or until crispy and golden. Serve right away with chili sauce for dipping.