- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr 20 min
- Serving: Makes 1 loaf
Here’s a way to sneak some healthy vegetables into your kids’ diets; grated sweet potato or zucchini can be used in this bread to make it moist and nutritious.
- 1 cup whole wheat flower
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup orange or apple juice
- grated zest of an orange or lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated sweet potato or zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With a fork or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles a crumble.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the juice, zest and egg. Pour into the flour mixture and stir just enough to moisten; do not over mix.
- Fold in the zucchini and nuts and pour the batter into the loaf pan. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack for 15 minutes before serving.