- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 2 hr 20 min
- Total: 2 hr 50 min
- Serving: 6-8 servings
This recipe makes a luxurious vegetable broth, brimming with flavor and goodness.
- 1 gallon Cold Water
- 4 Tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 Celery stalks, thickly sliced
- 3 Carrots, peeled 7 thickly sliced
- 2 Onions, cut into wedges
- 2 Leeks, white part only, washed & thickly sliced
- 2 Turnips, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 Red or Green Bell Pepper, stemmed, seeded & cut into chunks
- 1 Zucchini, ends trimmed & thickly sliced
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 sprigs Italian Parsley
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme or 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 10 Whole Black Peppercorns
- Put the cold water, chopped tomatoes, sliced celery, sliced carrots, chopped onion, sliced leek, chopped turnip, bell pepper chunks, and sliced zucchini into a stockpot, and place over high heat to boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and stir in the garlic cloves, parsley sprigs, thyme, bay leaves, and whole peppercorns.
- Simmer the mixture for 2-1/2 hours and then strain through cheesecloth, discarding any solids.
- Let the broth cool to room temperature before placing in the refrigerator until use.