- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 9 hr
- Total: 9 hr 20 min
- Serving: 10
Barley absorbs a lot of water and you may need to add more water throughout the cooking process.
- 3 pounds lean stew meat, trimmed and cut into cubes
- 1 can cut green beans, drained
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups pearl barley
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Additional water as needed
- Brown meat in a skillet.
- Add meat to crock pot.
- Add 4 cups of water, the barley, tomatoes, green beans and corn.
- Cover and cook on low setting about 6-7 hours.
- Stir and add more water if necessary (it usually is necessary to add 1-2 more cups throughout cooking). Add salt and pepper.
- Stir again.
- Cover and cook for another 2-3 hours on LOW setting.