- Prep: 1 hr 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total: 1 hr 10 min
- Serving: Makes about 1 cup
Real vanilla beans can be an expensive purchase; check prices on the internet where you can buy beans in bulk for significantly less than what is charged in a supermarket
- 1 cup water, heated to just boiling
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped, pod reserved
- Place the water and sugar into a saucepan over medium high heat, stir until all of the sugar has dissolved and then remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the vanilla bean seeds and pod to the mixture, steep for 1 hour and then strain into a jar. Tightly cap the container and store the syrup in the refrigerator until ready to use.